The native house of Santa Caterina da Siena was transformed into a sanctuary in 1464 and there you can find many signs about her life.
The entrance is made today by the Portico dei Comuni, made in 1941, two years after the proclamation as Patroness of Italy by Pope Pius XII. In 1999 Pope John Paul II also proclaimed her co-patroness of Europe. The portico is so named because every Italian municipality contributed symbolically - with a brick - to its realization. And every year, during the celebrations in honor of Santa Caterina (29 April) an Italian Municipality or an Association offers the oil to fuel the flame of this votive bronze lamp, commissioned by the mothers of the soldiers who died during the Second World War.
The House-Sanctuary consists of various environments: the Chiesa del Crocifisso (Church of the Crucifix) (the artwork from which the Saint received the stigmata in the Chiesa di Santa Cristina in Pisa in 1375), the Oratorio Superiore (Upper Oratory) with beautiful majolica floor, the Oratorio della Camera frescoed in 1896 by Alessandro Franchi, and the Chiesa di Santa Caterina in Fontebranda, with a wooden statue by Neroccio and paintings by Della Pacchia and Sodoma.