The current structure of Piazza Salimbeni dates back to the nineteenth century, when the architect Giuseppe Partini wanted to make it homogeneous in a neo-Gothic style, working heavily on the Palazzo Spannocchi (on the right), Rocca Salimbeni (at the centre) and Palazzo Tantucci (on the left).
But the Rocca Salimbeni, headquarters of Monte dei Paschi di Siena (founded in 1472 and considered the most ancient bank in the world), castle complex of the ancient family of the same name, has roots in the late twelfth century and a history of continuous destructions and reconstructions.
The building is in fact an actual fortress, whose dimensions and characteristics, a massive fortified residence, can be better perceived from the back, on piazza dell’Abbadia. In the fifteenth century the Rocca dei Salimbeni was confiscated by the Municipality of Siena, who placed the gabelle and Monte Pio, later incorporated by the Monte dei Paschi di Siena.
The statue of Sallustio Bandini, Sienese religious person and economist, in the middle of the square is by Tito Sarrocchi (1882).