The Higher Institute of Musical Studies "Rinaldo Franci" of Siena was born in 1834 as a music school affiliated with the Municipal Band, and in 1985 it became a municipal institution equal to the state conservatories
Just like the universities for scientific and humanistic disciplines, it is a primary institute for higher education, specialization and research in the arts and music and was authorized in 2004, with specific ministerial decrees, to organize the two-year experimental courses to obtain the academic diploma of second degree in musical disciplines and, since 2010, also the three-year courses to obtain the academic diploma of first degree, also in musical disciplines, the highest academic qualifications of the Italian State.
Since 2001 the Institute has set up a choir and a chamber orchestra composed of students and teachers. In 2004, the Orchestra of Siena Rinaldo Franci was born, composed of the students, the teachers, and the permanent orchestral ensemble.
The Istituto Musicale Rinaldo Franci has however never neglected the music for children, the musical approach in schools, especially elementary and middle schools and the concert lessons of the teachers.